Graduation, Commencement, Convocation
Graduation is the action of completing your degree requirements. Commencement and Convocation are ceremonies to celebrate the accomplishment of graduation. Commencement is the university-wide celebration at which degrees are conferred upon graduating students by the president of Arizona State University. College and cultural convocations are a time for smaller groups to gather and celebrate students’ graduation. Convocation events are where your name is called and you will cross the stage to receive congratulations and a diploma cover. Ceremonies are held in May and December.
Fall 2022 ceremonies will take place the week of December 12, 2022. There will be options to watch live streamed ceremonies.
Registration for Fall 2022 ceremonies will open the week of October 17 and will close on Monday, November 21. All ASU graduation ceremonies require reservations (RSVPs) from graduating students who wish to participate.
Graduate Commencement, Monday, December 12, 2022, 9:00 am, Desert Financial Arena
Undergraduate Commencement, Monday, December 12, 2022, 2:30 pm, Sun Devil Stadium, Frank Kush Field
Herberger Institute Convocation, Wednesday, December 14, 2022, 9:00 am, Grady Gammage Auditorium
General information about graduation events, photos and ceremony schedules can be found at the ASU graduation website.
Caps, Gowns and Regalia
Caps and gowns must be worn during graduation ceremonies. There are many ways to purchase:
Online Grad Fair runs from Friday, October 7, 8:00 a.m. MST, until Friday, October 21, 8:00PM MST. A special URL for the Grad Fair will be sent to students that have applied for graduation on Friday, October 7. Discounts are available on packages only.
Order online from now until November 12, 12:00AM EST, to have your cap and gown shipped to you. https://herff.ly/arizonastate
- Regalia will be available for purchase at the Sun Devil Campus stores from October 1 through graduation ceremonies. The Tempe bookstore will launch a online ordering website on 11/13. The site will close on 12/1. Website link will be shared when it is available.
All graduates are required to wear the proper regalia in order to participate in the ceremony as detailed on the ASU graduation website.
Need more information?
Check your ASU email. ASU and Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts will use your asu.edu email address for all graduation and convocation communications starting in mid-October.
Visit the graduation section of the University Registrar’s website for more information.
Steps to apply for graduation
Step 1: Register for your final semester
By now, you should have registered for your final semester.
Step 2: Check that you have completed all your degree requirements
- Undergraduates: Run your DARS Report to confirm that all requirements are met. If you encounter any discrepancies, make an appointment with a Herberger Institute academic advisor immediately. Summer graduates are eligible to walk in the spring commencement and convocation if they have 11 or fewer hours left to graduate; contact an advisor for more information about walking early.
- Graduates: As a graduate student in the ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, there are certain steps you need to take that ensure a successful, on-time graduation. Please review details concerning the graduation process for ASU here: Graduation Deadlines and Procedures.
Step 3: Check your deadline
To apply for graduation, complete the graduation process by the appropriate deadline.
|If you are completing your degree in:||Your deadline is:|
- You can apply to graduate online or in-person. To apply online, logon to your My ASU account and click the "Graduation" tab in the My Programs box. Click the "Apply for Graduation" link and follow the instructions on the screen. The graduation fee will be charged to your account. To apply in-person, go to the Student Services Building (SSV) and pay for graduation at the cashier's office. Complete the questionnaire the cashier gives you and take it to the graduation office on the first floor of the Student Services Building (SSV).
- You can apply for graduation the semester prior to or the semester of graduation, but be sure to apply before the deadline to avoid a late charge. The names of students who apply after the deadline will not appear in the ASU commencement program. Note the deadline dates listed on the university calendar. The graduation office will check your DARS report or program of study to make sure that you have completed the requirements for your degree. Undergraduates who will graduate in the summer are eligible to "walk" in spring commencement and convocation if they have 11 or fewer hours left to graduate, but they will not receive their diplomas until all degree requirements have been completed. Students who will "walk" in the spring convocation ceremony but finish their requirements in the summer must apply for a summer graduation and notify their advisor in the Office of Student Success that they plan to participate in the spring ceremony.
- Order your cap, gown and invitations through the ASU Bookstore. More information.
Step 4: Register to attend convocation
Herberger Institute Convocation is in person for Fall 2022. All students that have applied for Summer or Fall 2022 graduation will be included. Graduates will submit a single registration for the college and special interest convocation events through the RSVP button on your MyASU. RSVP will be live in October. Check your asu.edu email for updates.