Graduation, Commencement, Convocation
Graduation is the action of completing your degree requirements. Commencement and Convocation are ceremonies to celebrate the accomplishment of graduation. Commencement is the university-wide celebration at which degrees are conferred upon graduating students by the president of Arizona State University. College and cultural convocations are a time for smaller groups to gather and celebrate students’ graduation. Convocation events are where your name is called and you will cross the stage to receive congratulations and a diploma cover. Ceremonies are held in May and December.
Fall 2023 ceremonies will take place the week of December 11, 2023. There will be options to watch live streamed ceremonies.
Graduate Commencement, Monday, December 11, 2023, 9:00 am, Desert Financial Arena
Undergraduate Commencement, Monday, December 11, 2023, 2:30 pm, Mountain America Stadium, Frank Kush Field
Herberger Institute Convocation, Wednesday, December 13, 2023, 9:00 am, Grady Gammage Auditorium. Names will be announced for graduates attending the ceremony in-person.
Registration to participate in commencement and convocation ceremonies will be open from October 16, 2023, to November 15, 2023. Graduates can submit a single registration for the college and special interest convocation events through the RSVP button on your MyASU. Check your asu.edu email for updates. More information.
General information about graduation events, cap and gown ordering, photos and ceremony schedules can be found at the ASU graduation website.
Caps and Gowns
All graduates are required to wear the proper regalia in order to participate in the ceremony as detailed on the ASU graduation website.
The ASU Grad Fair will take place from October 6-20, 2023. Keep an eye on your ASU email for the unique URL you will need to be able to access your discounted graduation packages.
If you are eligible for honor cords, you can pick them up at any registrar’s office on your campus. To find the registrar’s office for your campus please click here. Academic recognition is granted to undergraduate candidates only. Students must complete 56 or more hours of in-resident work at ASU's Tempe, West, Polytechnic and Downtown Phoenix campuses in addition to having the appropriate grade point average.
There is no limit to number of guests for the Fall 2023 convocation. Tickets are not needed. Seating in the auditorium will be general admission.
Parking and Transit
Convocation parking is available at no cost to students and guests near the arena. Regular fees will be collected at meters and visitor lots. Disabled parking and a drop-off site for elderly guests will be available. https://graduation.asu.edu/guests/parking
Clear Bag Policy
The university has instituted a “Clear Bag Policy” for all Graduation venues. Please familiarize yourself with this policy. There will be no bag check available and no admission for those that do not follow this policy. ASU Bag Policy
Information on accessibility and inclusivity for graduates and guests can be viewed at https://graduation.asu.edu/guests/accessibility. There will be closed captioning and sign language interpreters at the event.
Grad Images Photography Information
Grad Images Photography is the official photographer of ASU commencement events. There is a pre-registration system, which allows you to provide your email and mailing address information before the ceremony. You can also add information for up to six family members. Pre-register now.
Flowers and gifts
Arizona State University partners with The Commencement Group for our graduation ceremonies to provide special commemorative flowers and gift items for sale during commencement. These special gift items include T-Shirts featuring all graduates' names and Kukui Spirit Necklaces Students. Graduates and guests are encouraged to pre-order for pick up before the ceremony so they can wear their leis on stage and in pictures. Orders can be placed until 9pm the evening before a ceremony takes place.
Graduates do not receive diplomas at University commencement or at college convocations. Diplomas will be mailed 6 to 8 weeks after the commencement ceremony to your permanent address on file at the university registrar's office. Change of diploma address must be submitted in one of the following two ways:
Diploma cover request
If you plan to attend an in-person event you will receive your diploma cover then. If you do not plan to attend an in-person event, please fill out the request form and let us know where you would like your diploma cover sent. Covers will be mailed out a few weeks after the graduation ceremonies.
Need more information?
Check your asu.edu email. ASU and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts will use your asu.edu email address for all graduation and Convocation communications.
Visit the graduation section of the university registrar’s website for more information.
Visit the commencement FAQ page or email HerbergerGraduation@asu.edu.
Steps to apply for graduation
Step 1: Register for your final semester
By now, you should have registered for your final semester.
Step 2: Check that you have completed all your degree requirements
- Undergraduates: Run your DARS Report to confirm that all requirements are met. If you encounter any discrepancies, make an appointment with a Herberger Institute academic advisor immediately. Summer graduates are eligible to walk in the spring commencement and convocation if they have 11 or fewer hours left to graduate; contact an advisor for more information about walking early.
- Graduates: As a graduate student in the ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, there are certain steps you need to take that ensure a successful, on-time graduation. Please review details concerning the graduation process for ASU here: Graduation Deadlines and Procedures.
Step 3: Check your deadline
To apply for graduation, complete the graduation process by the appropriate deadline.
|If you are completing your degree in:||Your deadline is:|
- You can apply to graduate online or in-person. To apply online, logon to your My ASU account and click the "Graduation" tab in the My Programs box. Click the "Apply for Graduation" link and follow the instructions on the screen. The graduation fee will be charged to your account. To apply in-person, go to the Student Services Building (SSV) and pay for graduation at the cashier's office. Complete the questionnaire the cashier gives you and take it to the graduation office on the first floor of the Student Services Building (SSV).
- You can apply for graduation the semester prior to or the semester of graduation, but be sure to apply before the deadline to avoid a late charge. The names of students who apply after the deadline will not appear in the ASU commencement program. Note the deadline dates listed on the university calendar. The graduation office will check your DARS report or program of study to make sure that you have completed the requirements for your degree. Undergraduates who will graduate in the summer are eligible to "walk" in spring commencement and convocation if they have 11 or fewer hours left to graduate, but they will not receive their diplomas until all degree requirements have been completed. Students who will "walk" in the spring convocation ceremony but finish their requirements in the summer must apply for a summer graduation and notify their advisor in the Office of Student Success that they plan to participate in the spring ceremony.
- Order your cap, gown and invitations through the ASU Bookstore. More information.
Step 4: Register to attend convocation
All students that have applied for Summer or Fall 2023 graduation will be included. Graduates will submit a single registration for the college and special interest convocation events through the RSVP button on your MyASU. The RSVP system will be open October 16 to November 15. Check your asu.edu email for updates.