Graduation, Commencement, Convocation
Graduation is the action of completing your degree requirements. Commencement and Convocation are ceremonies to celebrate the accomplishment of graduation. Commencement is the university-wide celebration at which degrees are conferred upon graduating students by the president of Arizona State University. College and cultural convocations are a time for smaller groups to gather and celebrate students’ graduation. Convocation events are where your name is called and you will cross the stage to receive congratulations. Ceremonies are held in May and December.
Fall 2021 ceremonies will be in-person and will take place the week of December 13, 2021. There will be an online ceremony site and options to watch live streamed ceremonies.
Graduate Commencement, Monday, December, 13, 2021, 9:00 am, Desert Financial Arena
Undergraduate Commencement, Monday, December, 13, 2021, 3:00 pm, SunDevil Stadium
Herberger Institute Convocation, Wednesday, December, 15, 2021, 9:00 am, Gammage Auditorium
All students that have applied for Summer or Fall 2021 graduation will be included in the RSVP system. We are also welcoming all 2020 and Spring 2021 Herberger Institute graduates to return and walk the stage and have their name read at the Herberger Institute convocation. If you would like to participate please email email@example.com with your name and ASU ID to be added the registration system.
To participate in commencement and convocation ceremonies, graduates are required to RSVP. After you have applied for graduation, look for the "Graduation" tab on your My ASU page for a link to RSVP for the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts Convocation. The RSVP link closes on Novemeber 18, 2021. It is critical that we receive RSVPs from ALL of our graduates.
Fall convocation for the Herberger Institute IS a ticketed event. Tickets are required for all guests, including infants and small children. Graduates can reserve up to five tickets. They will be available at a later date.
Graduates do not receive diplomas at University commencement or at college convocations. Diplomas will be mailed 6 to 8 weeks after the commencement ceremony to your permanent address on file at the university registrar's office. Change of diploma address must be submitted in one of the following two ways:
Need more information?
Visit the graduation section of the university registrar’s website for more information.
Steps to apply for graduation
Step 1: Register for your final semester
By now, you should have registered for your final semester.
Step 2: Check that you have completed all your degree requirements
- Undergraduates: Run your DARS Report to confirm that all requirements are met. If you encounter any discrepancies, make an appointment with a Herberger Institute academic advisor immediately. Summer graduates are eligible to walk in the spring commencement and convocation if they have 11 or fewer hours left to graduate; contact an advisor for more information about walking early.
- Graduates: As a graduate student in the ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, there are certain steps you need to take that ensure a successful, on-time graduation. Please review details concerning the graduation process for ASU here: Graduation Deadlines and Procedures.
Step 3: Check your deadline
To apply for graduation, complete the graduation process by the appropriate deadline.
|If you are completing your degree in:||Your deadline is:|
- You can apply to graduate online or in-person. To apply online, logon to your My ASU account and click the "Graduation" tab in the My Programs box. Click the "Apply for Graduation" link and follow the instructions on the screen. The graduation fee will be charged to your account. To apply in-person, go to the Student Services Building (SSV) and pay for graduation at the cashier's office. Complete the questionnaire the cashier gives you and take it to the graduation office on the first floor of the Student Services Building (SSV).
- You can apply for graduation the semester prior to or the semester of graduation, but be sure to apply before the deadline to avoid a late charge. The names of students who apply after the deadline will not appear in the ASU commencement program. Note the deadline dates listed on the university calendar. The graduation office will check your DARS report or program of study to make sure that you have completed the requirements for your degree. Undergraduates who will graduate in the summer are eligible to "walk" in spring commencement and convocation if they have 11 or fewer hours left to graduate, but they will not receive their diplomas until all degree requirements have been completed. Students who will "walk" in the spring convocation ceremony but finish their requirements in the summer must apply for a summer graduation and notify their advisor in the Office of Student Success that they plan to participate in the spring ceremony.
- Order your cap, gown and invitations through the ASU Bookstore. More information.
Step 4: Register to attend convocation
Herberger Convocation is in person for Fall 2021. All students that have applied for Summer or Fall 2021 graduation will be included. We are also welcoming all 2020 Gradutates and Spring 2021 graduates to return and walk the stage. Graduates will submit a single registration for the college and special interest convocation events through the RSVP button on your MyASU. The deadline to register is November 18, 2021.